Saturday, November 1, 2008

Blessing Machine

I sat down to start typing a few thoughts and this peculiar odor wafted into my nostrils. It is this kind of sour odor. It took me awhile to figure out and then I noticed the half gallon milk jug that I finished last night. Yes, it is on the floor by the sofa without the lid. I guess that there is still a lot of working to go in developing cleaning habits.

This evening at church, Jim made a comment that forced me to think about this morning.

His comment was something like, "God has blessed us every single morning before we even get up." This might be paraphrased a bit, but I think it captures what he was trying to say. I thought back to this morning. I woke up and really didn't want to get out of bed. I hadn't slept great and just felt pretty much exhausted - physically and mentally. However, Justin had left a reminder on the blog about the Run Baby, Baby Run 10K in Plymouth. So a bit grouchy, I stepped out into the cold morning and just thought, what the heck am I doing? At the race, I saw Pete, and he said, "Oh, I didn't know you were going to be here." Unfortunately, I'm a bit embarrassed by my response because it was something to the effect that it was hard getting out of bed and it was cold. What kind of response is that? It is pretty warped. I wasted the first few hours of the morning moaning and groaning rather than recognizing that God is the Blessing Machine. What blessings did I overlook? Well, let's see. Friends. Beautiful fall colors. Crisp, fresh air. The opportunity to run. The list goes on and on. Yet, it is so easy to get this all mixed up. This morning, I missed the mark entirely - putting my focus in all the wrong places. However, by the end of the race, the situation had been rectified and the day seemed to start over again in a new and awesome way - culminating in an amazing worship experience at church tonight.

Tomorrow is a new day! A day to wake up, mindful of God's blessings from the very beginning!

No comments: