Thursday, October 30, 2008

Flashback

Tonight, at group, Keith referred to Proverbs 31.

I opened to the verse, looked at the title for the passage, and immediately started to fight back tears.

The title:

Epilogue: The Wife of Noble Character

I read this passage (10-31) at Grandma's funeral.

I remember sitting in the pew and then seeing it was time for the scripture reading. I passed the beautiful casket, climbed two steps, slowly turned, and faced a church full of faces - the faces of family and friends. Grandpa sat in the front pew to my right with the rest of the immediate family extend on to the left. I looked down and somehow read through this passage - and was struck by how accurately it described her.

I learned a lot that day.

Together, as a team, Mom and Dad read a letter that Dad had written to Grandma. I was blown away by their obvious unity and love for one another as they supported each other through this difficult endeavour.

Before the funeral, the casket was still open for visitation. Grandma and Grandpa's Sunday school class all gathered together just before the end of the visitation time. Together, they filed past the casket - all together for one last time.

I remember the tears of a little girl who also called Grandma, Grandma.

I remember hugging Grandpa and him saying, "It is hard. Isn't it?"

So I learned a lot about love, about unity, about family, about pain.

But I also learned about comfort.

As Matthew writes, "Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted" (5:4).

And with this comfort

comes

hope.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Todd, Dorcas reminds me of Mom. Grandma Huff must be so proud of you... memories of her and how she loved and served the Lord continue to encourage us. Thank you for sharing..and reminding.