Saturday, October 18, 2008

A New Pace

A few posts ago, I wrote about spending time reading Romans. Well, I still haven't progressed much past Chapter 3. This is due in part to how loaded these chapters seem to be and also to taking a serious detour this week to Matthew 13.



This morning, I had the opportunity to meet up with Justin and some other great people at the Fall Frolic in Mishawaka. Let me tell you, it was a little difficult crawling out of bed this morning and then being met by a blast of chilly air upon opening the door. Honestly, the thought crossed my mind to just call it a day and head back to the hay. However, Justin had planted a seed in my mind with a comment to a post awhile back and it was time for the seed to sprout.



I entered the address into the GPS and set forth in the Cavalier. Of course, I didn't think about the road construction on Main (you would think one of these days I would remember), so I ended up a bit behind schedule. However, I arrived at the race site, registered, and waited for the race to commence. The area was charged with energy from runners eagerly anticipating the start of the race. Actually, these things are kind of strange. People actually PAY to participate in these runs. Yet, everyone is out having a good time.

Justin showed up shortly thereafter and it was great meeting several of his friends. As race-time approached, everyone headed over to the starting line. The announcer hoped that everyone would set a new PR. Of course, I had no idea what this meant. All I could think of was public relations. A "What?" slipped out and I was promptly informed that PR is personal record. (Duh!)

Anyway, after a few moments, the race commenced. The chilliness of the morning began to wane and the sun began to rise further into the sky. Its radiant beams and the exertion of running warmed the body (and the soul).

As I was running, these words from Romans kept going through my mind.

[let] him set the pace
[let] him set the pace
[let] him set the pace

I have this open right now and the passage reads:

What we've learned is this: God does not respond to what we do; we respond to what God does. We've finally figured it out. Our lives get in step with God and all others by letting him set the pace, not by proudly or anxiously trying to run the parade. (MSG 3:27-28)

Wow! What does it look like to proudly or anxiouly trying to run the parade? For me, it has typically meant having expections so high that they are attainable by me and others. Until recently, this was the foundation of my academic career. I found personal self-worth in grades and being the best (whatever that means). At work, I have been quick to judge others, quick to criticize. Yet, all of this only leads down a path of frustration, anger, sadness, and loneliness.

However, I think back to a night in June when God set the pace.

Justin commented that the cool thing about running/walking/jogging is that anyone can do it. There is a pace for everyone! I guess that is kind of the way it is with Jesus. We can come running, jogging, walking even crawling to Jesus. There is no one pace - the key is that he sets the pace.

After the race, there is an awards ceremony. As the announcer entered into the category winners of the 10K, several people from Justin's group of friends were called in close succession. Everyone within this group cheered to support their friends. Even the announcer commented that she hoped the group stuck around until all awards were given because they were so animated. Encouragement. It sure seemed like they were getting "in step" with each other. It was so cool!

Justin, thanks for the opportunity to meet up with you folks today.

It was a great change of pace!

Out!

2 comments:

Justin said...

Todd, you demanded a change of pace out of us! Thanks for joining us. If I could find one fault with this post it would be with the repeated reference to my group of friends: they are your group of friends! Everyone enjoyed meeting you and having you be a part of us for the morning.

I continue to really appreciate how you illustrate the Lord speaking to you in these blog posts. We all need to foster this thirsty desire to find and follow His will.

Justin said...

ps - a few links. Sheila wrote about her experience of the race day in zeal (running the race) and the photographer from the race has posted all the pictures on a shutterfly album, fall frolic 2008. They don't seem to have our big group pic - I may still find that from somebody else - but among other shots, there's one of you!

pps - another race this saturday! Run Baby Baby Run! :) A smaller number of us will be out for that. I'm just going to register when I get there.