Thursday, October 23, 2008

Further Reflection on the Gym Bag

I've been thinking about the whole back-pack and gym shorts thing some more since Tuesday. Okay, that may sound a bit weird, but bear with me or move onto another blog.

My back-pack is actually a decent looking back-pack. I mean it is not all torn up or soiled or anything. Just looking at it, you would never expect anything unusual about. Yet, within the back-pack was this bundle of nastiness that had fermented for awhile. Unzipping the back-pack led to the release of this odor and I had to pull out the shorts and deposit them directly into the washing machine. Things are not always the way they appear on the outside. I have been learning that first hand over the last couple days. Sometimes it is necessary to unzip or peal back a few layers to see what is really on the inside. The inside is not always very appealing. However, I have also been constantly reminded of this passage from Romans (I still haven't read past Chapter 3):

Those people are on a dark spiral downward. But if you think that leaves you on the high ground where you can point your finger at others, think again. Every time you criticize someone, you condemn yourself. It takes one to know one. Judgmental criticism of others is a well-known way of escaping detection in your own crimes and misdemeanors. But God isn't so easily diverted. He sees right through all such smoke screens and holds you to what you've done. (2:1-2, MSG)

Out!

No comments: