Monday, October 13, 2008

"I can ride my bike with no handlebars."

Dylan, from work, made this CD for me and the first song is Handlebars by the Flobots. This is one of those songs that just sticks in a person's head and keeps on repeating over and over and over again.

I can ride my bike with no handlebars
No handlebars
No handlebars

I can ride my bike with no handlebars
No handlebars
No handlebars

Look at me, look at me
hands in the air like it's good to be
ALIVE

Awhile back, I wrote about practicing bike-riding without the handlebars. I'm up to three blocks now.

Anyway, I think in some ways this is kind of like developing a relationship with Jesus. He wants to take control of the handlebars. He wants to do the steering.

Then Jesus went to work on his disciples. "Anyone who intends to come with me has to let me lead. You're not in the driver's seat; I am. Don't run from suffering; embrace it. Follow me and I'll show you how. Self-help is no help at all. Self-sacrifice is the way, my way, to finding yourself, your true self. What kind of deal is it to get everything you want but lose yourself? What could you ever trade your soul for? (Mt 16:24-26, MSG)

However, there is a bit of a catch.

Someone still has to do the pedaling!

By the way, click here for an interesting twist on the multiplier effect.

Out!

No comments: