Sunday, November 23, 2008

Thanksgiving

Has anyone checked the calendar lately?

Well, just in case you haven't, please note that this Thursday is Thanksgiving.

Wow, can you believe it?

I can't. It is almost shocking how fast time has passed and seems to be passing.

This week, I hope to offer thanks on this blog.

I'm going to start with a letter from Mom that I received in 2001. The crazy thing is that, as you will see, it refers back to 1995 when I was a freshman in high school.

Dear Todd,

In November of 1995, you wrote a paper on thankfulness. You spoke about being thankful for life and making the most of the time that we have. You stated that each person should "participate in activities, assist others, set high standards, and get to know God. Do not dwell on the past, but plan for the future. All people should work to improve themselves and influence others positively."

I know that you have done all those things, plus much, much more. I am so proud of the fine young man that you have become. My prayers are always with you as you continue with life's challenges and adventures.

Love always,
Mom
So tonight I'm thankful for my family - Mom, Dad, Chad, and Troy. Today, we shared a meal together. It was amazing. We had a serious conversation about church, about our town, about life. Although we were unable to solve any of the world's problems, this was a great time of sharing that I'm not sure we have ever shared previously. Although "growing up" sometimes still seems very scary and uncertain, I was so reassured today because although we are no longer three boys running around the farm, we have changed and are changing, we have grown and are growing... and it is okay.
Tonight, I am also thankful for the past. Although I apparently wrote, "do not dwell on the past," I think it is okay to be thankful for the past. I'm thankful growing up on the farm... for building straw forts with Matt, for playing in the sandbox with Chad (the ants in his pants were particularly funny), for building furniture for the treehouse, for having been so fortunate to live right by Grandpa and Grandma, for the chance to work the soil, for riding with my dad on the combine, for campfires, for camp three stones, for playing trumpet out on the deck...
There is much more that I could write about, but I guess that I'm not embarrassed to say that the screen is a bit difficult to see through the tears...

Good night and God bless.

2 comments:

Jan D-M said...

Very sweet, Todd. Lovely memory about your mom and your note.

I could see you with your brothers running around that farm, stopping by Grandma and Grandpa's and just having an old-fashioned kind of childhood. It's something I wish all kids could experience.

I'm very thankful for you, Toddito.

Chuff said...

Sandbox was totally uncalled for.