Thursday, November 13, 2008

Hair and Image Management



Before



After


Well, as my coworkers duly noted today, I got a haircut. It was kind of funny really. I heard probably ten times, "Whoa, you a got a haircut." No way, is that what you call this? The haircut came about because of swimming - that is the only reason, just wanted to make that clear. As a novice to regularly swimming, I did not know that it was necessary to get a special shampoo because of the chlorine in the water. Consequently, my hair did some pretty crazy stuff. It got all tangled together and started to feel strange. Much to my chagrin, it had to go. Of course, it will grow back - at least for now (hopefully, for many, many years yet to come!).


However, I started to think about this in light of my previous post - specifically, the line about image management. So okay, I'm going to tell you that I felt kind of naked after getting a haircut. Why? Well, with the hair also went the "mad scientist" image. In fact, someone said today, "I like the mad scientist look better." I guess that kind of ties into the whole dressing up thing, though. It is kind of like Adam and Eve. They felt naked. They "dressed up." What would happen if we all were able to be ourselves before God - to not worry about how we look or about having a certain image?
I wrestle with this verse:
"In a word, what I'm saying is, Grow up. You're kingdom subjects. Now live like it. Live out your God-created identity. Live generously and graciously toward others, the way God lives toward you." (Mt. 5:48, MSG)
Out!

4 comments:

Chuff said...

wow... you got a haircut. There goes my Christmas present of having you get dreadlocks.

Anonymous said...

T, you look GREAT and HANDSOME no matter what you do with your hair.
Aunt Lois

Anonymous said...

I read your times are a changin post, and I agree they are. Times can change, but that doesn't mean the past didn't happen either. You just don't forget the past. In fact, for the most part, I'm extremely grateful for memories. And although times will undoubtedly always change, the feelings of true friendships remain exactly what they are...true, even through long periods of vast change.

Abby Miller said...

i'm not gonna lie, i will miss the mad scientist look