Saturday, November 8, 2008

A Difficult Pill to Swallow

First, I need to correct a grievous error that Ben pointed out regarding the previous post. The two friends did not visit my office. Instead, they visited my workcenter. As some of you know, the office is where I go to read the Wire Journal International. I'm certainly sorry for any confusion or concern that this oversight created.

As written earlier, I rode bike with Trent last Sunday. However, it just didn't seem the same as rides earlier in the summer. The earlier rides seemed filled with anticipation and enthusiasm. The time spent riding seemed much more carefree and joy-filled. More recently, life seems much different. For example, I learned that working hard to save money for the company does not necessarily equate to saving jobs. This really crushed my spirit. Recently only one student showed up for student ministry. We learned that two of the students were at Taco Bell in South Bend. Again, at the time this seemed pretty disappointing.

However, a good friend shared something with me this week:

"I recall a particular Saturday when a one Todd Huff spoke of expectancy and anticipation while riding a bicycle through the church. Expectancy that God will show up. That the Spirit is going to work. "

Whoa, I was taken aback by this comment. In the past few weeks, this expectancy and anticipated has drastically dissipated. Today, though, I'm thankful. I'm thankful that we still are able to employ as many people as we are employing. I'm thankful for the time that the other leaders and I had to spend with the student who showed up - we played UNO and had a pretty serious conversation in the process. I'm thankful for a friend who offered a not-so-subtle reminder the Spirit is at work and is going to work.

God is present!

Off to band practice and to worship this God.

No comments: