Sunday, March 1, 2009

Taking a Big Bath

So this has been a go, go gadget Todd kind of weekend. It started with a gathering at Don and Jackie's on Friday. Wow, let me tell you that those were the best enchiladas ever! At 9:00 AM on Saturday, Trent, Rusty, and I met Fred to move the new entertainment center that Fred built to the church. Then, Jim, Trent, and I headed up to Albright's bike shop to check out bikes and do some research. We saw an amazing bike. It was possible to lift the bike with the tip of a finger!

(Back to writing this post after dinner in Valparaiso.)

Jim found a cool bike that is similar to what I have. I'm looking at a true road bike.

After church, I headed down to Rensselaer but then had to turn around and head back up at 7:30 this morning to help with inventory at work. After work, I got my first 10k run in for 2009! Wow, it felt great and then went swimming!

So my driving time this morning included some thinking...

about big baths.

Now, don't worry, I was thinking about big baths in accounting not some kind of, well, never mind.

The big bath earnings management strategy "involves taking as many write-offs as possible in one period. .... This affords an opportunity to write off all past sins and also clears the deck for future earnings increases."

This reminded me of a section in Colossians 2. (Sorry, back to Colossians.)

"Going under the water was a burial of your old life; coming up out of it was a resurrection, God raising you from the dead as he did Christ. When you were stuck in your old sin-dead life, you were incapable of responding to God. God brought you alive—right along with Christ! Think of it! All sins forgiven, the slate wiped clean, that old arrest warrant canceled and nailed to Christ's cross."

Big bath and baptism - kind of similar really. Well, I had hope to elaborate a bit more but am completely out of gas (well, gas as in energy).

Take care,

Todd

No comments: