Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Expectation v Expectancy

Last week, I finished reading The Shack - after the last discussion group meeting, go figure. A chapter at the end of the book is entitled, Verbs and Other Freedoms. I really enjoyed reading this chapter. One point that really stuck out is the distinction between expectation and expectancy. These words really are different and have different connotations. For me, expecations connote negative sentiments. When I think of expectations, I think of rules, laws, performance, disappointments, and hurts. For example, today, on my way out of work, a comment was made that maybe I should not wear my holey sweater to a meeting tomorrow. (In case the person who said this happens upon this post, I'm just using this as an example. Don't read anything else into it! You are right.) For the meeting, there is minimum expectation of sorts for clothing. However, in my mind, I of course bristled a bit and immediately thought about rules and about just wanting to be able to wear my favorite sweater - that just happens to be full of holes after a lot of wearing and abuse. I started wondering about what the big deal is anyway. So contrast expectations with expectancy. For me, expectancy connotes an air of excitement. Christmas time is still a time of expectancy. On Christmas morning, honestly, I can't wait to open gifts. As the years go by, though, I also can't wait to see others open the gifts that I have given them. Expectancy is anticipation, thrill, excitement, opportunities, and even nervousness. Right now, I am most filled with expectancy when I head out for a bike ride or run. Who will be there to wave to or stop for a brief chat? When out with others, what will come up in conversation? Sunrises, the transition from darkness to light, the wind, the sun, budding trees, crazy dogs, and the list goes of all the things that add to the expectancy.

The book describes this as an "incredible dancing of being" moving with the wind - the Holy Spirit.

1 comment:

Trent said...

The end of this post reminds me of a video I saw once with a guy riding a bicycle around town. Actually...he looked a lot like you!