Monday, March 23, 2009

Sheep II

So before getting so sleepy last night that I couldn't type anymore, I mentioned sheep and reading John 10 on the john. From the message, "The gatekeeper opens the gate to him and the sheep recognize his voice."

The sheep recognize his voice.

We had sheep on the farm and they lived in the pasture adjacent to the house. The lambs used to have such a great time out there. Sometimes, there might be a mound of dirt out there and they would play king of the mountain. Other times they would race around the pasture. I remember Dad calling the sheep and they would come racing for food. He had this special way of calling the sheep. He also has this special way of calling the pigs. Grandma had a special way of calling the cats. In all three examples, the creatures recognized the voice... and responded.

I find it really difficult to recognize God's voice amidst all of the noise and clutter. Unfortunately, I find myself to often thinking about my dilemma or my problem or you get the point. This too makes it pretty difficult to recognize God's voice.

Today, for example, I was at the eye doctor waiting for almost an hour for the doctor to check out my eyes. Well, during this hour, I spent some quality time thinking about how I unbelievable it was to be waiting for an hour, about how much work I needed to get down, and, again, you probably get the idea. Well, that was an entire hour truly wasted. Yet, it could have been used for a much higher purpose. Who knows? Maybe, if I had been listening, I might have even recognized God's voice.

Todd

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Todd, When we would have lambs, they would often make me think of Jesus. Remember how they would be so pure and white when they were firstborn. Just like the Lamb of God. When I got the last bucks that were blackfaced we often would get lambs that would be speckled or even black. Those always made me think of man and how sin dirties us. love Dad