Friday, March 20, 2009

Daily Rituals

Well, I stepped away from work for a few minutes to grab a bite to eat and decided to write a quick blog post. It is quite unusual to write a blog post at lunch during the work week. Actually, I'm not sure if I have ever done this. However, it is kind of keeping in them with this post. This week, I realized how almost ritualistic my days had become.

Wake up at 6:00
Scramble over to weight room
Lifting and cardio until 7:20
Race back home
Showever
Breakfast
Breathe
Get at work by 8:00
Work until noon
Step out for lunch
Okay you get the idea

To break it down even further, the first thing I do at work in the morning is go around the plant and check out copper weights. Then, I work on set-up sheets. Then, engineering of new products.

This all is just so ritualistic and repetitive. I like Ben's word from last night, "stifling."

So this week, I tried to intentionally shake things up just a little bit. For example, on Wednesday, I stayed home from the weight room and finished the Shack while drinking some delicious coffee. Yesterday, during lunch, I took off for a 10k run. Today, I'm writing this blog post.

I'm just not wired to get into that time of ritualistic living. It truly is stifling. Hopefully, in recognizing this, opportunities will arise to reinject some creativity into the journey.

1 comment:

Ben Miller said...

actually it was "suffocating" but stifling is also a good word haha.