Sunday, September 21, 2008

Wearing Ties

Friday night at the fire (check out the log on that fire - this is leftover from hedge "trimming"), Trent and I agreed to where ties to church on Saturday night. This kind of stemmed from a couple of conversations but we made the decision and went forward. You see, typical church attire for guys at our church is jeans or shorts and a t-shirt or maybe a polo. So this seemed pretty crazy to wear ties. But, I think we were both a little shocked by the feedback and attention (at least I was). I'm guessing at least 12 people commented about the choice of attire. It is kind of weird when you stand out in the crowd. However, last night I thought about this for a few minutes and I'm not sure it is a good thing. Is our church so homogeneous (i.e., of uniform structure or composition throughout - see www.m-w.com) that doing something as simple as wearing a tie stirs things up? What if it were the other way around? My aunt shared a story about how a person walked into her church and didn't have the right "look." Maybe the person was a little disheveled or something - can't remember exactly. But anywho, that person was more or less ignored. Kind of the opposite scenario but something that I'm going to think about and try to be cognizant of in the future.

Out.

1 comment:

Ben Miller said...

Sometimes I think that people at Horizon think we do have a dress code, and its anything but formal attire. So you are kind of an outcast if you wear something nice. I like that you guys wore ties, the truth is, you can wear whatever you want! You should wear costumes sometime.