Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Same But Different Part 2.43

Okay, so you might be tired of reading these same but different posts. That's fine, please check out the links to the right - particularly those of some new bloggers Ben and Abby.

While continuing to reflect upon this idea of same but different, I recalled reading some beautiful paragraphs in Prince Caspian.

"I don't think Edmund would have had a chance if he had fought Trumpkin twenty-four hours earlier. But the air of Narnia had been working upon him ever since they arrived on the island, and all his old battles came back to him, and his arms and fingers remembered their old skill. He was King Edmund once more."

"Of course, if the children would had attempted a journey like this a few days ago in England, they would have been knocked up. I think I have explained before how Narnia was altering them. Even Lucy was by now, so to speak, only one-third of a little girl going to boarding school for the first time, and two-thirds of Queen Lucy of Narnia."

Same but different. Edmund and Lucy are still Edmund and Lucy. Yet, as the inhale that refreshing and inspiring air of Narnia, they begin to undergo changes. They "remember" the skills of their previous visits to Narnia. They find new strength and courage.

This idea of breathing in the air of Narnia is just so beautiful. I had the opportunity to visit northern Wisconsin a few weeks ago. One thing that always amazes me is the refreshing pine smell that permeates the air. Getting out of the car that first time upon arriving, I felt renewal - despite having traveled for eight hours. It makes me think about the air that I breathe every day. Does the air stinketh or is it life-giving?

The other thing that strikes me about this change in Edmund and Lucy (and the others) is that it is not instantaneous - instead it is gradual - only one-third of a little girl .... and two-thirds of Queen Lucy of Narnia. This is a difficult idea for me to swallow - this concept of time and transition.

Well, if you managed to stick with this post, you can continue thinking, pondering, wondering. I'm off to start the day again.

Later!

1 comment:

Trent said...

2.43...I like it. BTW, anytime you can work the Chronicles of Narnia into a post, you know it's going to be a good one.