Thursday, April 2, 2009

Thursday Night

Yes, it truly is Thursday night once again. Has anyone figured out what happens to Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesdays nights (and days for that matter)? Right now, I'm just typing away for a few minutes waiting expectantly for a phone call.

This week I experienced something that felt kind of similar to something that happened in February. Defeat. Well, actually, I'm not sure that defeat is really it and it might more aptly be termed growth.

On Tuesday morning, we have been doing the Wednesday portion of BFS (bigger, faster, stronger) because many people are in the weight room on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. (This moves Friday to Thursday, too. Are you confused yet? I am.) Anyway, Wednesday's activities on Tuesdays include power clean and dead lift. Power clean slays me. First, this thing is a pretty complicated lift for a novice like me. Also, I'm not the most coordinated fellow and I'm certainly not the strongest. So with all this being said, power clean has been a pretty rough ride. However, after a couple of weeks, the lift didn't seem so complicated and then I started adding a little weight. On Tuesday, though, I hit a wall. I've been feeling pretty weary in general and when I went to start the lift, the bar just wouldn't go anywhere. In fact, I had to decrease weight from the previous week.

A few weeks ago, during my final exam for financial statement analysis, I came to the last problem on the exam. I think it was worth 15 points. After reading through the problem, it occurred to me that I had no idea how to do the problem. No idea. Period. The strange thing was that I could picture exactly where the topic was presented in the book (page 535, net trade cycle analysis), but could not for the life of me thing of how to the problem. So I picked up the exam, turned it into the professor, and went on my merry way.

Defeat.

In both situations, my instantaneous reaction was embarrassment and a sense of defeat.

But then a moment later, reality checked in and everything was okay.

And besides, growth sounds a lot better than defeat.

No comments: