Saturday, January 10, 2009

My New Friend, Bob

My brother, Chad, gave me the The Essential Bob Dylan CDs for Christmas. I actually started becoming interested in Bob's music because we sometimes sing Knockin' on Heaven's Door at church. I don't know. There's just something about Bob's music. First, I like it because I can understand what he is saying. I really struggle to understand what many contemporary singers are actually saying in their songs. It just all blends together and I can't really pick out the words. His songs also have a certain rawness to them. He pronounces some words with a bit of accent. His voice is raspy (I'm not sure if that is the right description but I can't think of another word). Yet, there is just something to the words, to the music - it is almost soulful.

Here are some of my favorite songs:

The Times They are A-Changin'
Knockin' on Heaven's Door
Gotta Serve Somebody

I listened to Gotta Serve Somebody over and over again on the way home today.

But you're gonna have to serve somebody, yes indeed
You're gonna have to serve somebody,
Well, it may be the devil or it may be the Lord
But you're gonna have to serve somebody.

As I was singing this song, I thought about some of my recent interactions. I'm not too proud of a few of them - particularly a phone conversation on Friday afternoon. I wonder who the person on the other end of the line would have said I was serving.

There just isn't a gray area and Bob really spells it out in these lyrics - the devil or the Lord.

Time to let Hacienda digest.

2 comments:

Trent said...

All I hear when I see those lyrics is you singing "Serve sombody" as the echo.

Abby Miller said...

Trent stole my comment :( oh and my Hacienda digested just fine :)