Thursday, January 22, 2009

Mi Amigo, Anderson


On my last trip to the Dominican Republic, I met this kid named Anderson. This morning, he hung out at the house before school. We talked - in Spanish. I was reading my Bible out on the galleria (porch) and Anderson showed up. He was watching me write a few notes in my journal. Then, as a plane was flying over, he exclaimed, un avion! This led to an incredible exchange. He told me that he likes baseball and that his favorite team is the Agulas. I asked him about school and he said that it started at 1:00. He also said that he is nine years old. After some further conversation, we started playing this game of sorts. Anderson helped me learn some more Spanish words. We walked around the house and looked out the windows. He taught me words and helped me piece together some more sentences. This turned out to be a pretty incredible experience.

This morning, I also had the opportunity to hit the streets of Hato Mayor for an hour-long run. It is amazing how much this feels like home. It is sad to think that our stay is so short.

Los ninos en el vecindario didn´t really know what to think of this white guy with goofy hair running laps aroudn the neighborhood. En la manana, yo corriendo en las calles de Hato Mayor. They pointed and laughed. Some even started running after me. It was so funny. Their smiles were beautiful and their laughter was music to the ears.

This really is in such stark contract to a fellow that we encountered on the bus from the Avistar long-term parking center in Chicago. He was not pleased that we were on the bus and had so much luggage. Although, the manager said that he didn´t have to wait because of us. He was certain that he was inconvienced and had to wait 5 minutes extra before leaving. You could tell by the way this guy was dressed that he had some money. He also had a major attitude and told us to F-off as he got off the bus.

Contrast this with the folks here in Hato Mayor. Compared to what we have, these folks have so little. Yet, there is so much joy here. I could see it in the eyes of the kids this morning and it is so apparent in the eyes of our hosts, the Marmolejos.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Todd,
So glad to hear you made it safely to DR.. and this time it's great to get reports while you are THERE. Anderson was probably pretty proud that HE got to be a teacher!
Hope you are taking some pictures! Love, A. Jane

Trent said...

Maybe that guy was so mad casue he had to poop!