Sunday, January 4, 2009

A Fit

Well, the holidays are officially past and tomorrow marks a return to "normal." However, I don't anticipate this week being particularly normal so there might be more to follow in the next couple of days.

I have a lot that I would like to write about tonight. However, I'm not really sure how to extract these thoughts from my mind into written word. These thoughts have to do with time and place, movement and stagnation, life and death, passions and purpose, peace and discontent.


Tonight, though, I think it best to stick with...

shoes.

On the Friday after Christmas, Troy and I headed up to Mishawaka with some Christmas cash that needed to be spent. My recent trips to Oswego ruined my favorite pair of Skechers (that is another story into itself) so in the back of my mind I kind of wanted to get a decent pair of shoes. (My other pair of Skechers got downgraded to work shoes.)

So we passed this store, Tradehome, at University Park Mall, and I asked if we could stop in there for a minute.

Wow, this turned into a shoe purchasing experience. I have never had anyone else actually put shoes on my feet. Honestly, that was kind of weird.

So I chose this pair of Doc Martens. One of the guys at the store asked if this was my first pair. (It must have been that obvious that I was kind like a fish out of water.)

"Yeah," I sheepishly replied.

He said that I made a good choice and that the shoes would start to fit around my feet.

In the back of my mind, I thought, "Yeah, right. This guy is just happy to be making a sale in this poor economy."

Well, he was right. The shoes have changed in the week that I have been wearing them. They changed to fit around me feet. It is so strange. They feel great. Even though they are huge (they give me extra height), they have these amazing cushioning soles that are almost like walking on air.

So I was thinking about these shoes today - about how nice it is to have something that fits just right.

Honestly, I struggle with feelings of not fitting - not fitting into B-town, into my profession, into my own goals.

However, I'm starting to wonder if maybe that is okay. Maybe it is okay not to fit - because that could make things too comfortable. It would become to easy to get complacent and just go through the motions.

I'm not totally sure about this, but it kind of makes sense.

If you happen to be reading this lowly blog, I hope that you have a nice Monday.

Later,

Tater

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi T,
Your 'lowly' blog happens to be one of the highlights of my day that I eagerly look forward to! I sure hope you continue full force in 09!! BTW, I LOVE your new blog banner!!!
Lois