Sunday, January 25, 2009

Church



On Sunday evening, we had the amazing privilege of being able to attend the church service in Hato Mayor. In 2007, we had the opportunity to help complete this church and today we attended the regular church service. The children's ministry is at 4:00 PM followed by the church service at 5:00 PM.

Some of you know that I have dealt with a blood problem called ITP from time to time. Well, on Saturday/Sunday, I had a headache, sore throat, and upset stomach. This kind of overwhelmed my immune system and by Sunday afternoon, I was sleeping in my bed - exhausted - and spots were showing up on my ankles indicating ITP. However, when asked about skipping church, I just new that was not possible.

The children's ministry is thriving. Arelis is an incredibly talented teacher. The children are beautiful. The team shared some gifts with the kids. Sugar seems to please kids everywhere and it has a language unto itself!

In my journal, I noted two specific moments from the church service. First, the church had a limited supply of song folders so we had to share (kind of an interesting concept). I sat next to a Dominican fellow and so we shared and we sang and we worshipped. Even though I couldn't keep up with the Spanish, the words didn't really matter. No, it was more about connection - about the collision of two cultures, two worlds making a joyful noise together in adoration of one awe-inspiring God.

The second moment brought tears to my eyes. Arelis asked Jim to lead prayers over a child, a boy afflicted with a bacterial infection that has left his mouth deformed. With arms extended, we all prayed together that this boy might find some kind of peace. So please join in this prayer, a prayer of hope and healing that tramples barriers created by borders, seas, languages, and cultures.

Until later,

Todd

No comments: