Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Wauky

At a few minutes before 6 tonight, Ben, Trent, and I set out on a bicycle journey to Wauky (a.k.a. Wakarusa). Actually, we missed our turn and ended up at SR19. (I talked with my Mom this evening and mentioned that we road on 19. She wasn't too pleased because it has quite a bit of traffic. That's why Mom is great.) We then cruised into the beautiful community of Wakarusa.

Trent mentioned accountability on this trip. I think he is going to write about this, but want to offer some thoughts, too. We had planned for this bike outing several days ago. We set a time and place to meet. We even set a goal for miles - 28. Well, as noted above, we missed a turn... and ended up on a 2 mile detour. So we actually ended up reaching the 30 mile mark. It is probably not just a coincidence or an accident that we passed the mile goal for tonight. I suspect it is an accountability thing. There are a lot of areas in my life where I need to be held accountable. I'm not sure what this looks like but I can sense the need... and the potential benefits.

A few other notes:

Ben is a beast on the Red Racer. I'm pretty sure that he could have kept on going strong. We have a goal for 50 miles coming up soon.

Riding bike offers the opportunity to appreciate the simpler things in life... like singing/shouting Row, Row, Row Your Boat in a round when passing houses; the shade of a canopy of trees over the road; the beautiful expanse of a cornfield standing tall and proud after the recent rains; the camaraderie of friends; a drink of warm water; the coolness of the evening breeze; ringing the manly bicycle bell for innocent bystanders; sweat - particularly in conjunction with the evening breeze; thinking about more comfortable bike designs. It seems like more and more, we are driven/expected to strive for the more complex - the newest car, the biggest house/fortress, the latest electronic device, the latest style. Yet, there is never going to be enough of these items to appease our insatiable appetites. In my own life, I would like to start appreciating, really appreciating, the simpler things on a much more regular basis. Tonight, I am going to appreciate sleep.

Out (passed out, that is)

1 comment:

Ben Miller said...

Nicely put, my friend. Nicely put.
That last paragraph is so true about everyone wanted more, but just a simple bike ride is more enjoyable than being the first to own the new iphone 2G or a new video game. Why do people think that THINGS will make them happy? Yeah maybe for a few minutes. I think we should spend our time and money on EXPERIENCES instead. I might have gotten a little off track, but great post, Todd!