Monday, July 28, 2008

Asking For Help

Okay, so a few weeks ago, I asked for help. This is a really difficult thing for me to do. Asking for help inherently means admitting that you don't have have it all together. For quite some time now, I have experienced some intense fatigue. This is because I wake up every night between 2 and 3 AM. When I tried adjusting my going to bed time, the waking just shifted forward the same time. It is very strange. After waking up, I struggle to fall back asleep. So a few weekends ago, I made two poor driving decisions in the one weekend. This really shook me up and I realized it was time to ask for help. I got up the nerve and called my doctor. We had a really positive conversation. (It turns out we share some similar interests and we actually ended up talking about books that we have read for most of the time.) However, he explained this chemical called serotonin. We have a serotonin bank account. Just like any other back account, if you take out too much, it goes in the red and there can be problems - like sleep problems. So anyways, I've been stepping up the exercising and taking a mild anti-depressant. Overall, the sense of fatigue is beginning to diminish and sleeping is improving. Asking for help. I guess it wasn't as hard as I expected.

No comments: