Sunday, July 20, 2008

Biking and so on (and so forth!)

I had two really great biking experiences this week. On Thursday, I set out for the 14.3 mi lake route. I really wasn't anticipating anything out of the ordinary. However, about three miles into the trip (I know this due to a great find by Trent, http://www.mapmyride.com/ - this is a great website), when I turned left at the T with 4th Road and Grape, the ride became quite exciting. All of the sudden, I was riding beside two deer! They turned out of the cornfield onto the road as I was turning. We continued on for the length of the cornfield and then they darted back into the field. Wow. Riding bike with the deer. I have been reading the Chronicles of Narnia, so of course my mind started wandering. What if the deer could talk? What would they say - about me, about us? What would creation (God's Creation) say about me, about us? Hmm. Kind of disconcerting.


On Saturday, Ben, Trent, and I set out on the Tour de (Rural) Bremen. Somehow we all managed to be up and on the bikes by 7:52 AM. (This is much easier for some than others.) We had a great 20 mi ride. Ben led the way on the Red Racer. This bike is very strange. I seem to remember it from another time and place. (Oh well, must be reading too much of the aforementioned Chronicles.) We wound our way through rural areas and even hit some dirt roads. Near the end of our journey, the skies began to look ominous. We were completely drenched by the time we hit the 20 mi mark. Yet, it was so worth it. Guys, looking forward to Tuesday.

No comments: