Thursday, July 31, 2008

Water Falls?


So last night I wrote this not-so-insightful post about hiking. Tonight, I am sitting on my front porch sipping some home-made wine and reflecting. (Okay, first, I'm literally sipping the home-made wine because the glass is 1/4 full. Second, some day, I'll get a post up on the home-made wine.) So the trail led to a waterfall. Okay, it was a tiny waterfall as waterfalls go - but come on, this is Indiana (honestly, I have probably peed more aggressively than this waterfall). Actually, I ended up finding a real waterfall later on the hike, but this picture turned out better. To continue on with the traps, though, mentioned last night. This summer has been a major learning experience for me. Quite frankly, I don't know what to make of it yet, but I have been learning about God's Truth. The other night, Jim gave me a little piece of paper that summarized things in such a way that I was able to start putting words to my feelings. According to God's Truths, I am totally accepted and deeply loved by God.
Totally accepted.
It is not about always getting A's in classes. It is not about having a best job (whatever that means anyways). It is not about ITP. It is not about a messy house. It is not about drinking a beer from time to time. It is not about still being single at age 28. It is not about bad habits. It is not about dropping the occasional s, d, or f-bomb.
It is about being totally and unequivocally accepted by God.
Does all the crap (feel free to substitute another word here) just vanish? Poof. Gone.
No.
But does that mean it is okay turn around, retreat, hide?
Tonight, Trent, Ben, and I headed out on our longest journey yet on the bikes - 40 miles. Today, I was quite nervous. I just felt like it might not doable today - and I didn't want to look like a goober. But we made it together - and actually increased our mph.
Two nights ago, I was walking back from the grocery store with some strawberries and I saw this older fellow riding his bike. One voice said, " Set your strawberries down, jump on the bike and join him." Another voice said, "Dude, you are too tired - just go inside and eat your berries." So I hopped on the bike. It was memorable ride. We talked. We just rode and talked.
Out.

No comments: