Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Reading

When I pick up a book to read, I almost always pick up a pen. Books and pens - they seem to go together. I like to underline and make notes.

The other day, I ventured to Walmart (Wally World to some) in search of the Chronicles of Narnia. I was hoping to get all seven books in one large book. I headed back to the book and magazine section and quickly located the book - on sale!

My intention for reading this book (or series of books in one large book) was purely for enjoyment. (I had only ever read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and was interested in reading the rest of the books - particularly in the light of the recent movie release.) I have found it quite though-provoking in some places. In fact, I have underlined some passages. This was surpising to me because I have never spent much time in the fantasy genre.

I really liked this observation from The Magician's Nephew: "For what you see and hear depends a good deal on where you are standing: it also depends on what sort of person you are."

So much truth exists in this observation.

1 comment:

Justin said...

Agreed!

I somewhat enjoy the fantasy genre, but the Narnia series is a whole different beast... I really love it for all the nuggets of wisdom that Lewis injects throughout. If you are still feeling adventurous after these, you might check out the space trilogy that Lewis wrote. Still very allegorical and educational. Also good to have under your belt as a recommendation for younger readers.