Thursday, July 24, 2008

Lightning Bugs

This was a perfect evening for walking. As we were walking, I looked at the lightning bugs dancing merrily along the woods. Lightning bugs. I remember trying to catch lightning bugs with my brothers. We would catch a few lightning bugs and put them in a Mason jar with holes punched through the lid. The jar would end up in one of our rooms. It is crazy that a few tiny specs of light can penetrate the darkness in such a profound way. We experienced darkness in Vermont a few weeks ago. It was so dark that I couldn't see a person standing right in front of me. Yet, it only takes a single little bug to penetrate the darkness.

I don't know about you, but I see a lot of darkness in the world that we inhabit. However, I also see a lot of lightning bugs dancing merrily in the darkness. They are beckoning to come join in the game - to bring light to the world.

1 comment:

Trent said...

I needed to hear that. You made my day.