Thursday, June 18, 2009

Identity

A few days ago, I changed the "about me" section of this blog. I actually meant to save it to write about it, but I couldn't find it tonight. I must not have ever saved it but that is probably okay. If my memory is correct it said something like

"senior chemist at Copperfield (after five years not sure what that means) ... finished masters degree in materials and chemical synthesis from IIT ... play keyboard in worship band at Horizon Ministries...."

The other night, I decided to change this "about me" section:

Learner. Thinker. Perceptive. Passionate. Thirsty. Seeker.

I guess this has been on my mind after recently reaching my 29th birthday.

What I noticed about my "about me" section is that each attribute was attached to something: work, school, church, etc.

Matthew talks about identity:

5:48"In a word, what I'm saying is, Grow up. You're kingdom subjects. Now live like it. Live out your God-created identity. Live generously and graciously toward others, the way God lives toward you."

The verse doesn't say "live out your Copperfield-created identity, IIT created identity, Horizon created identity."

The verse says live out your God-created identity.

This is something that I want to do - take the attributes God has given me - and live out my God-created identity.

T.H.

5 comments:

Justin said...

Happy Belated Bday, Todd! It's been a joy to get to know you more this past year.

Ben Miller said...

I like it.

Abby Miller said...

very inspirational!

Don said...

So I'm not just reading this post now that I'm back to civilization and Internet access and whatnot after a few days. As someone who obsesses over what to put in those "about me" boxes on twitter, blogs, facebook, etc., I really liked your thoughts. Good stuff for the mind to chew on...

Schafer said...

Well said buddy.