Sunday, May 17, 2009

Asking... giving... and receiving

Earlier this year, I had the opportunity to visit the Dominican Republic. In fact, if you haven't read these posts, feel free to read them by clicking here. Unlike my previous trip, I decided to send out support letters and was quite overwhelmed by the response. You know, it wasn't even really the money that mattered - it was the fact that people cared about me, about the trip, and about the Dominican Republic.


Recently, I received a support letter... from a member of the Bremen Marching Band. They are planning a trip and are in need of funds. This band program has improved drastically over the last year or so. The marching band made it regionals for the first time in years and the concert and jazz band performances have been incredible. As a former member of the band - a very small band at the time - it has been amazing to see this growth - in both numbers and quality. So long story short, I was really excited to receive this letter and having the opportunity to support this organization. I signed my check, put it in the mail, and didn't think about it any more.


Fast forward a few days.


This past week was particularly trying for many reasons, but that's not really the point.


In the middle of feeling completely overwhelmed and at or near the breaking point, this guy I know comes up to me. He is the father of the aforementioned student. I was more than a little surprised when he said the most sincerest "Thank you" that I have ever received. I was also more than a little surprised by the peace that kind of settled over me with those few simple words. So this entire cycle - this interrelationship - is pretty interesting and amazing. It really highlighted in my mind that we just never know. We never know when some seemingly insignificant gesture could turn totally around. It also highlighted something else - that there are likely many people out there ready to give. They just need to be asked.

Take care,

Todd

No comments: