Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Tuesdays @ 2

Do you ever have an idea that you are so excited about that you can't stop thinking about it?

Last Friday, at about 11:oo AM, an idea started percolating up through the fog of the morning. Ironically, I was almost on my way out the door because I was taking a half-day. By 11:15 AM, the idea had pretty much developed into something tangible: Tuesdays @ 2.

Tuesdays @ 2 is a pilot program. I have set up several mini-courses on various topic in the wire fabricating process. My initial thought was to keep attendance narrowed to the three individuals that I was planning on training. However, it occurred to me that others in the organization might be interested in attending as well.

So on Friday, I debated with myself for about 10 minutes before deciding to give it a shot and then sent an email out to a few of the higher-ups in our organization. I was out the door by 11:30 AM and had a nice afternoon.

Today, we had the kick-off course and their were ten people in attendance! Feedback was very positive and I'm looking forward to next week's demonstration of electrolysis in industrial applications.

The goals of Tuesdays @ 2 are:

1) To provide relevant opportunities for employee development
2) To open lines of communication between various disciplines within the organization
3) To encourage thinking "outside-of-the-box"
4) To encourage "iron sharpening of iron"

I have now idea how this pilot program will progress. However, it certainly is exciting to try something different.

No comments: