Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A Dreaded Hymn

Trent shared some insights with FCS today. He talked about needing to be the church - to take the church to others. We certainly tend to flip this around and expect (how bold of us?) people to come to church. I liked how Trent said it. "We need to go over and meet people instead of saying come over to us... We need to get out of our comfort zones."

A hymn has been stuck in my head for about two weeks now. I really don't know why because I haven't sung it in probably 5-6 years. In fact, I really don't like the song. We used to sing it practically every Sunday at the church I attended while in college. I always used to think that I disliked the tune. However, since it has been stuck in my head so long, I actually starting thinking about the words. I finally realized the true reason why I hate this song.

If you happen to have a United Methodist Hymnal nearby, please turn to page 558 and join in singing...

"I am the church! You are the church! We are the church together."

Now hold on one minute.

I don't see anything in this refrain about church buildings, altars, pulpits, or pastors. I don't see anything in this refrain about steeples, billboards with goofy phrases, church programming, multi-media productions, or great songs.

It doesn't get much better as we continue singing the verses.

See vs 1: "the church is not a resting place"

What? If it is not a resting place, does it mean that we have to work?

See vs 3: "sometimes it's [the church] bravely burning"

BRAVELY BURNING? Is this some kind of sick joke? You mean this could be dangerous business?

See vs 4: "there's laughing and there's crying"

Crying? Isn't church supposed to be all about making people happy? Well, let's face it... making me happy?

It doesn't get much better in verse 5. Check it out if you have a chance.

And of course the song rounds out with one more rousing refrain:

"I am the church! You are the church! We are the church together!"

I sure didn't have a clue when I sang this over and over again back during the college years.

No comments: