Sunday, May 11, 2008

Ambassadors of Hope


At the 2008 Scholarship Dinner

Okay, so here's how it went down. Yesterday morning, after 3 hours of sleep, I woke up at 4:00 AM in a hotel room in Merrillville. This phrase, ambassadors of hope, was moving 100 mph around the racetrack of my mind. This phrase is by no means original to me and I have no idea where it finds its origins. However, I was just so overwhelmed by this phrase and filled with a sense of excitement and joy. You see, it occurred to me that I had been in the presence of so many ambassadors of hope during the previous night's event. I was also filled with a sense of anticipation about seeing other ambassadors in action throughout the remainder of the day and into the evening. Then, I started thinking about an email from Friday and, you guessed it, he's an ambassador of hope, too.

Who are these people?
  • A guy who voluntarily takes a bunch of 8th & 9th grade guys on a retreat to his parent's lake cabin. Note the italics on voluntarily. Some people might this this guy is crazy, but I bet those students would disagree.
  • Pumas who graciously offer scholarship money to students. Having been on the receiving end of this money only a few short years ago, I can personally attest to the hope that this assistance offers to students.
  • A community that is truly better together. When all the food was tallied, the 14th Annual Letter Carrier Food Drive broke the record for most lbs of food received.
  • A small group anticipating future trips to the Dominican Republic. The creative juices are flowing as this group contemplates spending time with friends, a medical clinic, an expansion, and future projects.

2008 Letter Carriers Food Drive

No comments: