Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Follow-Up to the Not-Forgotten Boat

Two Sundays ago, I wrote about going with my buddy, Rusty, to look for mushrooms. Of course, after looking for one hour, we didn't find any and I ended up writing about the Not-Forgotten Boat. Earlier that day, my uncle and brother also looked for mushrooms - to no avail.

This past Sunday, I had headed out to the farm for lunch. As I opened the door, I was pleasantly surprised by the smell of mushrooms in the frying pan. Dad was preparing those delightful little morsels to accompany grilled pork chops. Of course, I asked, "Geez, when did you start finding the mushrooms?" Dad replied, with that sheepish grin, "Well, I found fifteen last Sunday." Fifteen! I couldn't believe it. After four other people looked for mushrooms and found zero, Dad ventured back and found fifteen.

Dad clearly, over time, has learned where to find the mushrooms. It was kind of goofy of us to expect to find mushrooms without paying any attention to Dad's instructions when we were younger. We didn't put in the effort in the past to reap the harvest now.

Dad, great job finding those mushrooms. You deserved it. By the way, thanks for sharing. They tasted great!

No comments: