Thursday, May 22, 2008

It was windy again

So I bought this fire pit (see picture). (Actually, I made a comment to a good friend about wanting a fire pit. She did some great research and sent an email with some options. Conveniently, my brothers went to pick out a tux for my youngest brother to wear to prom. The tux place was right next to a Target. The fire pit was at Target. After a cell phone conversation, the fire pit somehow ended up at my doorstep. It is great how things work out sometimes.) Okay, back to the main story. My driveway extends from the street, through the carport, and all the way back to the alley. When I started to entertain the possibility of purchasing a fire pit, my immediate plan was to place the fire pit between the carport and the alley. Why? Well, the driveway is flat between the carport and the alley and it is furthest from the street. It really seemed like a great place for a fire pit. Last night, I lit the the fire early and then sat by the fire and read. It was quite windy. Of course, the smoke from the fire blew right through the door into the kitchen. When, I went into grab a cup of water, I was taken aback by the smell of smoke in the house. Okay, so this probably isn't the greatest place to have the fire pit. When Rusty arrived, we carried it down to the portion of the driveway between the street and carport. This part of the driveway is not flat. Instead, it slopes up to the carport. Also, it is closer to the street. It certainly didn't seem like the ideal place for a fire pit. Well, I quickly learned that this was the right place to be. People stopped by to hang out at the fire. We waved and said hi to people who were walking by. Neighbor kids stopped by to play. It was great. You see, part of this was a positioning thing. We could have kept the fire back away from the road, away from the action. Instead, we carried the fire right out to the front-lines. By the way, how did that guy end up in the tree? Why do ice cream truck seem like magnets?


No comments: