Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Why not?

Recently, I spent some time learning about alkyd varnishes. I still have a lot to learn about them so if I am in error on anything here, please let me know. Two of the components of alkyd varnishes are fatty acids and polyols. Interestingly enough, fatty acids and polyols are present in certain lubricant formulations as well. Interestingly enough, varnish films can change refractory patterns and the perceived color. Interesting.

T: Are these lubricant formulations susceptible to form varnishes under any conditions?

S: The chemist says, “No.”

T: Why not?

No reply.

Okay, so maybe I’ve been coming across a bit critical in the last few posts. Really, that is not my intention. In fact, I wish people would ask these same questions of me. I wish they would challenge me. In fact, do it right now.

Why?

Because if we are not being challenged, we might as well keel over right now.

Harsh?

Yes.

True?

Yes.

No comments: