Friday, October 9, 2009

An Interesting Change

In Factories (Part II), I recorded some comments heard during some investigations:

“I just do what I’m told.”

“I’ve worked here for 3 years and have never touched those valves.”

“I don’t know which gauge you are talking about. We’ve never had to know that before.”

“Oh, the other shift quit doing that a long time ago.”

Today, in the waning hours of the work day, I hunkered down in my make-shift office to analyze some data involving two current projects. Honestly, I was pretty much spent after an intense week and needed some time to try and process data and get organized for next week. (For those of you who know me, staying organized is an ongoing battle. That is an understatement.) Anyway, as I was working on some spreadsheets, one of the production associates came up to the door and said:

"We have a reel that has issues. I know you are looking into all of this and wanted to let you know. Here are the tags from the feedstock reels."

Okay, rewind one week and the same person said, "I just do what I'm told."

It is pretty amazing the difference that one week can make.

I'm looking forward to recharging this weekend and hitting it hard again next week.

I'm not settling.

No comments: