Tuesday, October 13, 2009

How was your day?

This is a question that Seth Godin (2008) asks in his book, Tribes.

Recently, I had the opportunity to sift through boxes of my work over the past few years. It was a great to get rid of the junk that had accumulated. However, this also proved to be a pretty difficult experience. I came across an extensive research project and the resulting paper that we shared with a customer. Behind my bookshelf was a brainstorming diagram about wire breaks. The team had written ideas on Post-It notes and then we placed them on a sheet to summarize.

This was difficult because something changed over the last few years. I guess it was me. I kind of closed up for awhile and became very cynical and angry towards work. So my answer to Godin’s question was not particularly positive. Yet, deep within, this was so wrong to me.

In looking through Facebook each Thursday and Friday, how many people do you see that write about being glad for the weekend? On Sunday, how many people write about not believing that the weekend is over? Yeah, I’m always glad for the weekend, but at the same time, why are we glad for the weekends? If it is because work is boring, mind-numbing, or stifling, then perhaps something needs to change. If it is because we are angry, frustrated, or hurt, then perhaps something needs to change.

The past few weeks have been quite an adventure in my new role. After overcoming a brief setback due to my blood problem, ITP, the days have gone by so fast. They have been filled with a new energy and a new sense of urgency. This is in due partially to one of my coworkers. He has taken time on many occasions over the past few weeks to offer words of encouragement and advice. (Special thanks to Jenn as we start learning how to deal with our schedules during this new time for us.)

My new goal is to answer the title question in the positive at least most of the time. If the majority of the time ever starts to sound negative, then it will be time to make some adjustments.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

todd as always you will do great!
also you are so lucky to have jenn close by. love dad