Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Tool of the Trade: Digital Blue QX5 Computer Microscope

Surface defect on supplier feedstock (60x)


My cart


Yesterday, I had to make a quick run to... Toys 'R' Us.

I analyze copper wire breaks and it is helpful to be able to send picture of these wire breaks. It just so happens that the Digital Blue QX5 Computer Microscope works great for this application. (Click on the link for features.)


Unfortunately, due to my recent re-location, I had my microscope but not the software. So, desperately needing to use the microscope, I headed over to Toys 'R' Us to get another microscope and the software. To my dismay, they did not have it. However, I kept picturing this disk in my mind. I just couldn't see figure out where it was. This morning, though, at 5:40 CST, I woke up and realized that the disk was in a box right next to my bed.


At the plant today, I quickly took pictures and sent the necessary correspondences.


The Digital Blue QX5 Computer Microscope is great for the manufacturing environment. It is inexpensive ($80) but gets the job done. It is portable. I take it right to the production line. It is also pretty resilient because I dropped it on the way into the office this afternoon. It still works!

No comments: