Friday, October 2, 2009

Factories (Part I)

I'm now in my sixth year of working in a factory. Honestly, I hesitate to write the word factory. It would be great to call it something a bit more glamorous like a manufacturing facility, for example. However, at the end of the day, the best and most realistic term is in fact, factory. Over the years, my role in the organization has changed and evolved. Areas of study have included copper wire breaks, lubricants, interferences in ultrasonic welding, oxidation of copper, electron-beam crosslinkable compounds, and continuous vulcanization thermodynamics. Technical issues are definitely present in this industry.

However, a bit of a stigma is attached to factories. By their very nature, they tend to be repetitive. This can become a bit dangerous. (See Part II.) Seth Godin writes, "What you won't find in a factory is a motivated tribe making a difference" (Tribes 39).

My question:

Why not?

Why shouldn't there be a motivated tribe making a difference?

This is my new goal.

I want to help develop and be a part of a group that wants to make a difference.

Why?

Well, let's see.

Jobs.

Livelihoods of families.

Products made right here in the USA. (Might sound a bit old fashioned, but oh well.)

No comments: