Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Postions

Yesterday, I had an interesting conversation with my boss about change. In an almost surreal way, I heard these words come out of my mouth, “I’m starting to think that changing positions in an organization is a good thing.” At the end of the conversation, it seemed that we both had reached this conclusion. In my own observations (and experience, for that matter), it is very easy to get into a rut. What might this rut look like? Well, maybe work that used to seem exciting is now boring. Maybe there is a conflict in personalities that makes it very difficult for either individual to grow. Maybe sometimes it is necessary to step out of the picture and let a fresh set of eyes have the chance to problem-solve and improve. Imagine the increase in value of the individual within the firm as he or she has the chance to move into other disciplines or locations. Often, it seems that these changes occur out of necessity – either on behalf of the company or the employee. However, what if changes like this occur intentionally or even strategically?

No comments: