Monday, September 28, 2009

"Jesus Lives Here"

Saturday was Homecoming at Saint Joseph’s. It was an amazing day that started with a 5K and ended with a cook-out. However, the most important part of Homecoming is the opportunity to renew relationships. True friendships withstand distance and time. Conversations begin again almost from the same point that they end. These are the people that you think about and pray for even when the distance seems so far and the time seems so long.

This Homecoming was also special because my parents came. Earlier in the week, it became apparent that I needed help. I needed a bed and some furniture but was really struggling to figure out how to get these items. So I called Mom and explained the situation. It is so difficult for me to ask for help sometimes. However, on Friday Dad called and said that he was going to bring the bed. Mom ended up getting off call at the hospital and they both came. It was a special time to eat lunch together with Jenn, Dad, Mom, and Troy.

At Mass, Fr. Tim shared an anecdote from working in the grotto. One morning he was working in the grotto and overhead a conversation. Apparently, a younger sibling was with his brother or sister in the grotto. They were walking by the cave and the younger sibling said that he liked coming to St. Joseph’s because "Jesus lives here." He was referring to the statue of Jesus in the cave.

As I reflected upon the weekend, this is one image that stayed in my mind. Jesus does live here. One way I sensed his presence this weekend was in the renewal of relationships and the action of my parents.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mom and i had a great time too!
it was great to see everyone and to meet jens folks. wish we could have stayed longer.love dad