Monday, August 31, 2009

Limbo

Lately, I have found myself in a state of limbo.

Limbo:

2c : an intermediate or transitional place or state (www.m-w.com)

Everything as I know it is changing. Tomorrow night will be my third week at Indiana Wesleyan after switching from Bethel. The model is quite different from Bethel. The first class is my first foray into management.

Right now at work, I am working with my replacement, Matt. He is going to be a huge asset to our fabrication facility in Bremen. Matt will offer fab a brand new perspective as he focuses, and helps our organization re-focus, on the four windows of wire drawing: dies, lubricants, copper, and machines. We are extremely lucky to have someone with his balance of technical and people skills. However, it is quite an odd experience to hand off my position to another person. Yet, I do this with a great deal of hope - hope that Matt will re-energize our organization and be a positive change agent.

Tomorrow morning, I will drive to Lafayette and continue transitioning to my new role at the fabrication facility. This is the first time in my time at the company that there has been a process engineer designated for the Lafayette fab facility. I am excited about this change and looking forward to the influx of machinery that is coming on-line now and in the months to come. This facility has an incredible amount of potential, and my hope is to help this facility to become a world-class manufacturer of bare copper wire.

On Saturday, Job is going to start playing keyboard at church. It sounds like we are both going to play for a few weeks - two keyboards! Honestly, this transition is going to be difficult. It is pretty crazy to think about how the hours have added up over the years with the group. Trent is a great band leader and his passion for worship is energizing. Jim, Laura, Leigh, Kim, Brittany, Jan, Abby - these folks make a unique group, and it has been a joy to be a part of the group over the past few years.

Finally, I look forward to spending time with Jenn. The past 8 months have been such a whirlwind and our visits always seem like "trips" - Jenn coming to Bremen, me traveling to Rensselaer, or both of us meeting somewhere else. It will be nice just to take an evening walk, have dinner, even just read together - appreciate and enjoy the simpler things of life.

Take care,

Todd

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I know this is transition is not going to be easy. But, I can't tell you enough how much it means to me that you are willing to make this big change so we can be together. I love you!