Sunday, June 29, 2008

Bike Church


Last night at church, we did something a little different. Half-way through the service, everyone who had a bike took a quick ride around town. (We had asked people to ride bikes to church.) It is so easy for the Church to be come insulated from the rest of the town or the world. The bike groups went out agenda-free - just to ride and let the spirit lead. The groups reported out after returning to the church. I think a little girl shared probably the most important comment, "We said 'hi' to people." A few weeks ago, I just felt the need to go walking. It was dark outside. I passed a house and noticed an acquaintance from several years ago sitting at the door of his darkened garage. I said hi and started up the driveway. He jumped up and met me in the middle of the driveway. He extended his hand and I shook it. We started talking. I had to keep myself from gagging from the smell of alcohol. We just talked. No agenda. He said to stop by again. I imagine that there will probably be another time to just go walking.

No comments: