Sunday, June 1, 2008

Strange Times


Actually, after some further contemplation, there is a third entry for stare decisis. It will come in a day or two or three.

Anyway, this weekend has been a strange time. My youngest brother graduated from high school. We are ten years apart in age. I am so happy for him and he chose to attend my alma mater in the fall. Actually, he was on his way to Purdue and, out of the blue, changed his mind to St. Joseph's. He is a fine young man and I look forward to seeing him grow at St. Joe. I'm kind of in shock, though. Being several years older than him, I took care of him so much when we were younger. It is hard to believe that he is "grown up." I'm sure this is also kind of goofy for Mom and Dad. So this is a happy time...

Except it is not.

One year ago, Grandma died. I attended the family's home church today. It was kind of surreal to be a part of service that included honoring graduates (including my brother) and a prayer that included a remembrance of Grandma. I can't believe how much the pain stings right now. It just kind of came out of no where and hit like a train. However, you know what, even in this strange time, I am different. Even as I am sitting here weeping right now, as hard as it is, I am thankful. For out of grief has come new feelings, new thoughts, new dreams.



No comments: