Sunday, April 27, 2008

Windy Ride

Yesterday, I rode bike out to the farm. I have ridden bike to the farm multiple time, but yesterday was different. It was windy! Wow, it was windy! I downshifted all the way to 4th and 5th gear (our of 24) just to creep forward. The wind was actually trying to force the bike perpendicular to the road. It buffeted the bike and roared past my ears.

The wind resistance was almost overwhelming.

Yet, I kept pedaling. I could have easily turned around and glided back to the farm and asked for a ride back to town.

While straining forward, some words from Philippians came to mind: "press on toward the goal." This was a powerful reminder that even when the winds have other plans, I need to keep pressing on toward the goal.

What are those winds? Here a few that I struggle with everyday.

Pride.

Temptation.

Woefulness.

Bubbleitis.

What's the goal?

Well, yesterday, it was quite simply to get home.

From Philippians, "I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back" (3:12-14, Message).

_____________________________________
P.S. What is bubbleitis? Well, I'm pretty sure it is an invented word. From http://www.m-w.com/, bubble is "something that lacks firmness, solidity, or reality" (2a). Something ending in -itis is a "disease or inflammation." Bubbleitis, at least for me, is this disease of staying in or escaping to my comfort zone - a place that lacks firmness or reality.

No comments: