Sunday, November 29, 2009

Maxwell's Law of the Picture


Recently, I completed an analysis of my company. The object of the paper was to compare and contrast the company with Biblical principles shared by Steward (2007) in Doing Business by the Good Book. I learned a great deal in the process of completing this study. In the process, though, I became concerned about sounding too critical of the company. Then, I realized that it is going to be necessary to step it up several notches. No longer is it just going to be possible for me to tweak technical variables and get the results that I want and the organization needs. Why? Well, people are involved. People with their own values, skills, and interests.

One of the strategies that I came across is Maxwell's (2007) Law of the Picture. To encourage desired behaviors, Maxwell reminds that it is necessary to identify positives examples and then affirm the behaviors. This seems pretty simplistic but it certainly sounds like a good start. This is a strategy that I'm going to try using intentionally this week. We'll see how it goes.

By the way, thanks to Trent for supplying the picture from Wii bowling and tennis night. Pictures like this certainly affirm taking Wii seriously (or something like that).

No comments: