Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Light in the Cave

Last week, I officially moved into my new office. I knew that something was very different. However, it didn't dawn on me until when I was packing up at the end of the day.

Windows.

I have affectionately been referring to the plant as a cave.

Consequently, it is amazing to have the sun shine through the windows and shed some light into the cave.

This actually is the first time that I have had an office windows. This really has shown me the importance of a good working environment. Having a window to the outside sure makes a difference.

This is actually what I have been trying to start fostering in the plant. Last week, the copper team members had an assignment. They had a series of questions and were required to discuss them with an operator, subject matter expert (outside of the facility), and another team member. I was unsure about the response. However, I was pleased to learn that nearly everyone completed the assignment. When one of the team members discussed his findings, I was pretty shocked by his enthusiasm. Later, one of the subject matter experts shared his thanks for the dialogue. More and more, I am starting to become convinced that is what it is all about. The technical side alone can only go so far. Communication and opening windows to the light will go the rest of the way.

No comments: