Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Jobless

Okay, the rare second post...

Last week, I visited our Oswego manufacturing facility. Unfortunately, it is closing in the near future. This makes me sad because these are really great people and I've really appreciated their friendliness and hospitality with each visit over the last 7 or 8 months. One of my unexpected roles on this trip was to take some time to just listen. Several guys came up to me and just wanted to talk... and I listened.

I'm a pretty emotional guy and right now I'm even choking up thinking about hearing this guy say, "It is just starting to sink in now." This guy has worked at the company for almost his entire working career. And in a short time, the doors will close. It was pretty heart-wrenching. I could see the pain and confusion in this guy's eyes.

I'm really struggling with all of this. I have taken a few economics classes now. Sure, the curves and math show what is happening, but they they do nothing to capture the hard reality - the pain.

How can this be right?

Todd

No comments: