Monday, July 27, 2009

A Change in Roles

This past weekend on the M.O.B. camp-out, someone had to bring up that ten years ago this August we all started our college careers.

Ten years.

I can't believe how fast the years have passed.

One of the things that I remember about starting out on campus is Dr. Chattin (or maybe it was Dr. Shannon) telling us to look around the room because we might see our future spouse. Little did I know that there was certainly a ring of truth to that statement.

As I think back over these ten years, I also think about the people that have provided counsel and served as mentors. Some of you out there are probably thinking right now, "Yep, that's me." You know who you are and I thank you so much! Mo still likes to remind me of being "scared of my shadow" when I stepped onto campus and that she had to coach me through deciding the right calculus class to take.

Today, though, the roles changed and I found myself on the other side of the table - the one to be the listening ear, the one to offer counsel.

It is weird how the conversation started.

It was something like "remember last year when you told me about some things that you were experiencing."

Some lessons from today's exchange...

- Being open and sharing offers opportunities for people to relate.

- It is important to be ready.

- Always remember to listen.

Take care,

Todd

No comments: