Thursday, February 12, 2009

Reflections



While in the Dominican Republic, Jim said that I should read Colossians. Well, I started reading it down there and have been reading it since returning home. (Note, this book only has four chapters.) Anyways, this book has really struck me so I have decided to share some reflections on this book. I'm a little apprehensive about this because I don't want it to sound like I spend all kinds of time reading the Bible. I sure wish that I could read more... actually that is going to be coming up more in a later reflection. And if you happen to read this and work with me, it might sound a bit hypocritical because my attitude has been more than a little crappy lately. So anyways, it would be great to hear from you if by chance something strikes you or you have any insights. Please feel free to leave a comment or email me at chemhuff@yahoo.com.

"Our prayers for you are always spilling over into thanksgivings. We can't quit thanking God our Father and Jesus our Messiah for you! We keep getting reports on your steady faith in Christ, our Jesus, and the love you continuously extend to all Christians. The lines of purpose in your lives never grow slack, tightly tied as they are to your future in heaven, kept taut by hope." (Colossians 1:3-5, MSG)

In this letter, Paul is writing to followers of Jesus in Colosse. When I read these verses, I picture Paul at a table writing this letter to a follower of Jesus in the Dominican Republic. Paul can't contain his joy and a smile overwhelms his face.
Why?
Because he has received news from his brothers and sisters in a little barrio called Hato Mayor. Finally, after so many years of perseverance on behalf of Pedrito, a stalwart follower of Jesus, there is a church filled with children learning about Jesus.
Years ago, Pedrito (pictured to the left in the second picture) had a vision that the people of his community needed a church. This singular purpose became a lifestyle for him as he acquired land even though people that he was crazy. He proceeded to build a church, brick by brick, over several years. Yet, even though most people thought he had gone mad and few people supported him, he must have found some source of hope to carry on with this vision for a church.
Today, the church is home to vibrant children's ministry.
Today, even though the church still faces adversity, Pedrito and his wife, Arelis, carry on with purpose and passion.


No comments: