Sunday, February 22, 2009

Pressing Pause


Tonight, after finishing studying for the final, it was time to press the pause button and do something that I've been longing to do for along time. Tonight, it seemed like just the right time. I sat down at the piano with just the lamp on for light. Actually, the the lights in the living room both burned out this past week and they are a pain in the posterior to change so it wasn't too hard to make the house dark. The last two weeks we have played some songs to sing with the high schoolers (Rusty on guitar the first week, me on keyboard the second week). However, this is something that I kind of struggle with because most of the music that we have at church is only in chord chart form. So tonight, I dropped by the church and picked up a song that I thought would be manageable to learn to play with only the keyboard as accompaniment. The song that came to mind was Breathe. So with just the lamp for light, I checked out some sheet music that I had to get some guidance and then started playing and singing. Eventually, the lamp went off and was replaced by just a candle because I could play the song without any music at all. This was amazing.

I thought about the lyrics.

This is the air I breathe
Your holy presence living in me

With the smell of the burning candle wafting to my nostrils, I could just play and sing and worship and long for God's holy presence to live within in me.

No comments: