Monday, February 16, 2009

The Light in the Doorway

Okay, so tonight, I'm going to take a break from Colossians - although there is much more to come.

Last week, we were meeting with some of the kids in the basement at the church. Someone had given us some ice cream so after a great group time (including Rusty on the guitar!), we pulled out the ice cream. Of course, we needed spoons, so I headed up the back stairway to get some plastic spoons from the storage room. The storage room is on the opposite side of the stage from the back stairway. When I opened the door from the stairway, I was met by this all encompassing darkness and there is not a light switch on that side of the room. So rather than going down the stairs and around to the main entrance, I proceeded across the room, walking into chairs, and bumping up against the stage. Honestly, my heart rate sped up a bit, too. It is strange when you are totally in the dark. The mind starts playing tricks. The ears start hearing things that aren't there. It is kind of spooky. So anyway, I got to the door of the storage room and felt around for the light switch, found some spoons, turned off the light, and took a deep breath to head back to the other door. Only it was totally different. The doorway to the stairs was filled with light and it poured into the room. It was not a problem walking towards the light. The difference between walking away from and towards the light was startling.

Last night, I started reading Chronicles of Narnia - The Silver Chair. Eustace and Pole go to a door to get away from some bullies. Only this door is a little different:

"They had expected to see the grey, heathery slope of the moor going up and up to join the dull autumn sky. Instead, a blaze of sunshine met them. It poured through the doorway as the light of a June day pours into the garage when you open the door."

On Saturday, we reflected on this verse at church: When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." (John 8:12)

Light is this amazing thing. It is a guide. It offers hope. It is reasurring. It is comforting.

It reminds me of a song that we used to sing at Mass so often.

I want to walk as a child of the Light.
I want to follow Jesus.
God sent the stars to give light to the world,
The Star of my life is Jesus.

In him there is no darkness at all,
The night and the day are both alike,
The Lamb is the light of the city of God.
Shine in my heart, Lord Jesus.

Even though so often it seems like there are two sides of my life, right now this is the song that I'm singing. It would be great if this song could move from just a few minutes to an all-day symphony.

1 comment:

Jan D-M said...

I LOVE the comparison of walking into the light vs walking into the dark. Awe-some.